Water resource management is the activity of planning, developing, distributing and managing the optimum use of water resources. It is an aspect of water cycle management. The field of water resources management will have to continue to adapt to the current and future issues facing the allocation of water. Learn about the current status of water management in Indiana and the solutions for management of such an important resource.
2021 Current Issue Resources
- Water Budgets: Foundations for Effective Water-Resources & Environmental Management, USGS:
- Integrated Water Resource Management- American Rivers:
- https://www.americanrivers.org/conservation-resources/integrated-water- management/what-is-integrated-water-management/ (Visit all sections, steps, and links under “Explore more about integrated Water Management”)
- What is Hydrology? USGS
- A Guide to Assessing Green Infrastructure Costs and Benefits for Flood Reduction- NOAA
- Groundwater and Surface Water: A Single Resource. USGS Circular 1139
- Water Resource Management - ThinkTVPBS
- Indiana’s Water Supply and Economic Development- Indiana Chamber of Commerce
- Indiana’s Water Shortage Plan- Indiana DNR
- Water Footprint Calculator
- Planning for an Emergency Drinking Water Supply- EPA:
- Floodplain Management in Indiana Quick Guide (IDNR, 2018):
- The Water Budget Groundwater/Surface Water Interactions and their relation to Water Resources Management PowerPoint
2021 Current Issue Learning Objectives
- Identify assisting agencies, tools, and laws that govern Indiana waters as a resource, and develop a working understanding of the programs which manage our water resources.
- Be familiar with all components of a water budget, how they are monitored, and what part they play in a water budget.
- Define and understand the process of integrated water management.
- Understand the basic concepts of hydrology and the water cycle.
- Knowledge of connection between groundwater and surface water, how they influence each other, and how human activities effect groundwater and surface water
- Understand how to measure water availability and predict water use.
- Understand how green infrastructure can manage water resources & the cost benefit process.
- Define and describe Floodplain Protection, Impact of Floodway Construction Activities, National Flood Insurance Program and Flood Mitigation Programs.
- Identify Indiana’s current knowledge of our water resources and what key elements will be needed to successfully manage our resources.
- Discuss some surface water and groundwater best management practices used to help protect our water quality and quantity.
The Envirothon is a competitive learning event for high school-aged students, testing their knowledge of environmental resources including soil, water, forestry, wildlife and various current environmental issues.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 Indiana Envirothon regional and state competition will be held virtually. Please see the Rules and Regulations for more information on this.